Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Child-like faith

"People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, `Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.' And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them." Mark 10: 13-16

What does it mean to have a child-like faith? I accepted and received Jesus as my Savior at the age of 6. My entire life I have lived in the knowledge that Jesus died for my wrongdoings (sins), that He rose from the dead and ascended to the right hand of God the Father. I have always known that heaven is waiting for me and that I am ready. As I get older, there are times when my relationship with God seems to get so difficult and complex and yet, in reality, it is so simple a child can grasp and understand it.

Yesterday, amid the hustle and bustle of getting my oldest daughter Rebecca off to school, she made a very simple statement..."I want Jesus to live in my heart". Praise you Father for giving her the desire. I immediately stopped everything knowing that...even though we would be late for school...nothing was more important than that moment with my baby girl. I sat her on my lap and explained that Jesus just wants her to ask Him to come live in her heart and He would do it. We sat and I listened to these words. "Thank you Jesus for living in my heart." Did she really get it? Was that it? Was it that simple? Last night I found myself asking if a relationship with Jesus begins with the words of "come into my life and forgive me" or if it really is as simple as just believing that it's true. Part of me desires to hear Rebecca ASK Jesus into her heart. I can't seem to get those words of Jesus out of my head...`knock and the door will be opened to you. Seek and you will find." To me that means God wants us to ASK first. I don't know but I am praying earnestly that God would continue to water her soul with his Holy Spirit. I continue to pray that He will give me wisdom and the words to say to help her understand. We have talked quite a bit about how Jesus died on the cross, wants to live in our hearts and help us do what is right. We have also talked a lot about the fact that her big sister Kayli and her grandpa Darryl live in heaven with Jesus. You can't explain the trinity or God's omnipresence to a 5 year old but am I confusing her when I tell her that Jesus lives in our hearts and then later saying that grandpa and Kayli live in heaven with Jesus? Again, in my 32 year old mind it can seems so complex and yet, the reality is that starting a relationship with Jesus is really simple...simple enough for a child to understand. Mark 10:14b-15 "" `Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."

Thank you Father God for dying on the cross, taking my punishment for sin, freeing me from the bondage of that sin, promising me that you will never leave or forsake me and giving me hope and the knowledge that heaven is awaiting me. Earth is not my true home..it is in heaven with you. Give me strength to stay faithful and to work continually toward a better relationship with you. Thank you God for Rebecca and her simple faith. Continue to create a hunger for knowing you. Continue to create in her a teachable and tender spirit. Thank you! In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment